- Why does leukemia interest you? And why does MDS target certain cells?
- Thank you so much for trying to find a cure/ prevention for Leukemia! 'I voted you you' !!!
- how do people get lukiemia?
- Why are you studying leukemia? has somebody you know been affected or because you want to help?
- How close are you to finding a cure for leukemia?
Hi Millie. I’m really sorry to hear about your uncle. Although leukemia is caused by mutations in genes, these mutations usually occur during adulthood (called somatic mutations). Only mutations that occur during the production of sperm and eggs (called germline mutations) can be inherited. So it is very unlikely that there was any transfer of genes that cause leukemia between members of your family. Very few cancers show a strong inheritance pattern (breast and ovarian cancer are the two that I am most aware of).